:: The fruits of our Harvest ::

We have been busy in the kitchen this weekend. Our beautiful apple tree has blessed us with a huge harvest of cooking apples ....so I have been scouring cook books for recipes with the primary ingredient of 'cooking apples'.
My lovely friend from Sea Angels did post on this wonderful book (The Fruits of the Earth by Gloria Nicol) which has fantastic recipes for all sorts of preserves...
I couldn't resist this recipe ...mainly because of the name ..... Dumpsydearie Jam and its delicious
as my breakfast plate confirms...its also the most beautiful dusty pink colour...a treat for the eyes and taste buds...yum...
Here is the recipe:

Makes: (2.1kg 4lb 12oz)
500g (1lb 2oz) Cooking Apples roughly chopped

500g (1lb 2oz) Pears roughly chopped
500g (1lb 2oz) Plums halved
125kg (2lb 12oz) Sugar
25g (1oz) Root Ginger
2 cloves
Zest and juice of 1 Lemon
300ml 10 1/2 fl oz Water

Peel, core and slice the apples and pears. Halve the plums and leave the stones. Place all of the fruit into a heavy bottomed saucepan, add just enough water to cover the base. Cook for 40 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
Remove from the heat, add the sugar, stir until fully dissolved. Add the juice and grated rind of the lemon into the pan with the bruised ginger and cloves in a muslin bag and add to the jam.
Boil rapidly until the setting point is reached.
The jam is then ready for potting
::

Sweet Pea has also been busy, she has become a wonderful little baker and makes the loveliest of cakes, these muffins were for her fourteenth birthday party yesterday and they were delicious...(from Nigella's new cook book), apple and Cinnamon muffins....they didn't last long I can tell you....
Well onward and upward, I have a pile of ironing to do today and my reward is a little light knitting!!!
::
I am so sorry that I haven't been a good blogger pal recently, I haven't had a moment to myself and I am aware there have hardly been any posts or visits to my lovely friends...but half term is in sight and I shall make it my priority to visit you all...
Have a wonderful week in this lovely autumn sunshine...
::


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...